Area artists are painting Kansas City’s iconic fountains this summer to help raise $2,500,000 for nine aging fountains that need immediate and critical repair. Artists will offer their fountain artwork to the non-profit City of Fountains Foundation for an exhibit and on-line auction that begins September 5. The paintings will be featured at Buttonwood Art Space, 3013 Main, for the month of September. A First Friday reception will open on September 5, from 5-9 p.m., showing interested buyers the actual paintings up close and personal and offer the public a chance to meet the artist.
Bidding for the paintings begins September 5 at www.kcfountains.org . The bidding will continue until midnight September 25. Winning bidders can pick up their purchases at Buttonwood on September 29 & 30. Half of the proceeds from the auction will go to the participating artists whose framed creations were sold on-line, and half to the foundation’s Wish Upon a Fountain campaign.
Kansas City fountains with the most pressing restoration needs include:
- Seville Light Fountain/Country Club Plaza
- J.C. Nichols Memorial Fountain/Country Club Plaza
- Westside Fountain/ Summit and Southwest Blvd
- William Volker Memorial Fountain/Volker Blvd & Oak St.
- Delbert Haff Memorial Fountain/Meyer Blvd at Swope Parkway
- Spirit of Freedom Fountain/ Cleaver II Blvd & Cleveland
- Children’s Fountain/North Oak at Highway 9 in NKC
- Seahorse Fountain (Meyer Circle Fountain)/Meyer Blvd & Ward Parkway
- Firefighters Fountain/ 31st Street between Broadway & SW Trafficway
For more information please contact: Joanie Shields 913-908-7840
DOWNLOAD Fountain Call for Artists