Sunday, July 17, 2016
The Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art Donald J. Hall Sculpture Park and Theis Park, Between Oak and Rockhill on Emanuel Cleaver II Blvd.
(Cleaver II Blvd. will be closed from 2-8 p.m.; details below)
Celebrate National Park and Recreation month as KC Parks partners with the Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art to host the biggest picnic the region has ever seen! The Donald J. Hall Sculpture Park and Theis Park will be linked to become a giant space for Kansas City to come together for an evening of fun. Pack your own picnic or grab dinner from an on-site food truck! Rain or shine; no grills, no stakes, no tenting.
- Lay your blanket down in designated areas to become part of a giant checkerboard-patterned display The Big Picnic by artist Alison Heryer
- Human ants, giant food and other whimsies create a larger-than-life picnic experience by StoneLion Puppet Theater
- Musical performances
- Plein Air “Quick Paint” Contest
- Recreation stations featuring badminton, lawn games and the Imagination Playground.
- Giant Adirondack Chairs and a giant picture frame for great photo opps
- Ride your bike and keep it safe in Southmoreland Park with Bike Valet services provided by BikeWalkKC
ROAD CLOSURE:Emanuel Cleaver II Blvd. from Oak Street to Rockhill Road will be closed for the Big Picnic from 2-8 p.m.
DETOUR: From the East-south on Rockhill Road to Volker to Oak Street; from the West-south on Oak Street to Volker to Rockhill Road