- This event has passed.
Kansas City’s Big Picnic 2017
Sunday, July 23, 2017
The Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art Donald J. Hall Sculpture Park and Theis Park, Between Oak and Rockhill on Emanuel Cleaver II Blvd.
(Cleaver II Blvd. will be closed from 2-9 p.m.; details below)
This year’s picnic celebrates the 125th anniversary of KC Parks & Rec, National Parks & Recreation month, and the worldwide commemoration of the 100th anniversary of the death of renowned sculptor Auguste Rodin. Explore the Donald J. Hall Sculpture Park and Theis Park, where you will discover a new temporary installation, Chillida: Rhythm-Time-Silence — seven large-scale sculptures from renowned Spanish Modernist Eduardo Chillida, along with classic favorite Rodin’s The Thinkerand more than 30 other sculptures. Enjoy art activities, live music, food trucks, and games throughout the Big Picnic. Pack your own picnic or grab dinner from an on-site food truck! Rain or shine; no grills, no stakes, no tenting.
We want to see your pictures! Use #KCBigPicnic and #KCParks125 and we’ll share our favorites on our social media.
#KCBigPicnic Highlights (link to complete schedule of events):
- Human ants, giant food and other whimsies create a larger-than-life picnic experience by StoneLion Puppet Theater
- Musical performances
- Plein Air “Quick Paint” Contest
- Recreation stations featuring badminton, lawn games by KC Crew and the Imagination Playground.
- Giant Adirondack Chairs and a giant picture frame for great photo opps
- Grateful Bubbles from 4:30-6:30 p.m.
- Ride your bike and keep it safe in Southmoreland Park with Bike Valet services provided by BikeWalkKC
ROAD CLOSURE:Emanuel Cleaver II Blvd. from Oak Street to Rockhill Road will be closed for the Big Picnic from 2-9 p.m.
DETOUR: From the East-south on Rockhill Road to Volker to Oak Street; from the West-south on Oak Street to Volker to Rockhill Road