Meyer Circle Sea Horse Fountain | Kansas City Fountains

Meyer Circle Sea Horse Fountain

Share this park:
  • The Quick Facts

    Location

    W. Meyer Blvd. & Ward Parkway

    Park:

    1. Ward Parkway

    ~UNDERGOING REPAIRS~

    Description

    Purchased by J. C. Nichols in Venice, Italy in the early 1920’s – the sculpture dates to 1700’s. The fountain is named for the three mythological sea horses perched atop the stone pyramid. The horses support a fluted saucer which has a carved lion’s head which spouts water as the saucer fills. The middle tier has three cherubs holding an identical smaller saucer. The top tier is a sculpture of two cherubs holding a saucer. The original statue had a child riding a dolphin, but vandalism in 1960 forced the Park Board to change to a saucer top. The lower jet of water is very forceful with the upper and smaller jets creating a mist when a small breeze blows. The Sculpture is atop a stone base approx. 30′ high. The entire fountain and statuary was refurbished in 1992.

  • CONTACT INFO

  • EVENTS

  • ATTRACTIONS

  • PROGRAMS

  • AMENITIES

  • STAFF

  • SHELTERS

  • MEMBERSHIP

  • RULES

  • DOWNLOADS