CHARLES CAMPBELL (1895-1898) #10As part of #KCParks125, we are featuring all 104 Park Board Commissioners in order of their service.Charles Campbell (1847-1913) was appointed to the Board of Park and Boulevard Commissioners in 1895 by new Mayor Webster Davis. Mr. Campbell and another new appointee, Robert Gillham, were brought in to replace Louis Hammerslough and William Glass. August Meyer, Adriance Van Brunt and Simeon B. Armour were retained from the Board appointed in 1892.Mr. Campbell was originally from Wyoming County, New York which is in the western part of the state, east of Buffalo. On his way to Kansas City he also lived in northwestern Illinois where he married in 1874. Mr. Campbell wore many hats during his working career in Kansas City – Vice-President of the Fidelity Trust Company; President of the Campbell Glass and Paint Company; Vice-President of the Central Coal and Coke Company. He supported and worked toward the passage of the 1895 City Charter in which was written legislation by Park Board Attorney Delbert Haff to give support and power to the Park Board.There was a conflict that arose in 1898 concerning the sizes of new parks West Terrace Park and Penn Valley Park. Mr. Campbell resigned from the Park Board at that time. After resigning from the Board, he became even more involved than he previously had in the raising of funds to build a new Convention Hall, earning the nickname ‘”Convention Hall’ Campbell”. When Mr. Campbell died in 1913, after bouts of ill health, he died in his beautiful home with large yard at 36th Street and Main Street, on the northwest corner. #KCParks #FromTheArchives | KC Parks Instagram Photos

CHARLES CAMPBELL (1895-1898) #10As part of #KCParks125, we are featuring all 104 Park Board Commissioners in order of their service.Charles Campbell (1847-1913) was appointed to the Board of Park and Boulevard Commissioners in 1895 by new Mayor Webster Davis. Mr. Campbell and another new appointee, Robert Gillham, were brought in to replace Louis Hammerslough and William Glass. August Meyer, Adriance Van Brunt and Simeon B. Armour were retained from the Board appointed in 1892.Mr. Campbell was originally from Wyoming County, New York which is in the western part of the state, east of Buffalo. On his way to Kansas City he also lived in northwestern Illinois where he married in 1874. Mr. Campbell wore many hats during his working career in Kansas City – Vice-President of the Fidelity Trust Company; President of the Campbell Glass and Paint Company; Vice-President of the Central Coal and Coke Company. He supported and worked toward the passage of the 1895 City Charter in which was written legislation by Park Board Attorney Delbert Haff to give support and power to the Park Board.There was a conflict that arose in 1898 concerning the sizes of new parks West Terrace Park and Penn Valley Park. Mr. Campbell resigned from the Park Board at that time. After resigning from the Board, he became even more involved than he previously had in the raising of funds to build a new Convention Hall, earning the nickname ‘”Convention Hall’ Campbell”. When Mr. Campbell died in 1913, after bouts of ill health, he died in his beautiful home with large yard at 36th Street and Main Street, on the northwest corner. #KCParks #FromTheArchives

Posted by Intagrate Lite