Artist/Designer: George Kessler and John VanBrunt
This is the second fountain built in Kansas City’s and its oldest working fountain. Designed by George Kessler and John VanBrunt, it was completed in 1899. After a long period of non-use, the basin was excavated and repaired in 1970. And in 1989 the Central Exchange took leadership in raising money for a partial restoration and named it The Women’s Leadership Fountain. Funds from the sale of other City property were used to complete the restoration in 2003. The names of thirteen women who have made notable contributions to the City will be added later.
1845-1931 Myrtle Page Fillmore | 1850-1934 Phoebe Jane Ess | 1850-1913 Alice Berry Graham | 1851-1940 Mary Harmon Weeks | 1854-1929 Bertha Manheimer Leiberman | 1860-1933 Katherine Berry Richardson | 1884-1974 Nelle Elizabeth Peters | 1884-1964 Caroline Benton Cockfair | 1886-1983 Ada Crogman Franklin | 1893-1977 Guadalupe Bribiesca de Garcia | 1894-1990 Madalyn Pinkston Brock | 1899-2004 Ellen (Nell) Donnelly Reed | 1917-1970 Esther Swirk Brown