~Membership Applications are now being accepted~
Located in West Terrace Park, the West Terrace Off Leash Dog Park is a members-only park open daily from 5 a.m.-10 p.m. Fully enclosed, the 1.5-acre park provides a great place for you and your dog to play, exercise and socialize. Amenities include benches, stunning views of the west bottoms and the Missouri River, park stairs, a shade pavilion with picnic tables, controlled entry, disposal bags and receptacles and two drinking fountains.
BECOME A MEMBER
You do not have to be a resident of Kansas City, Missouri to join. Introductory membership is $5 for one year. KC Parks downtown community centers accept applications, fees and records and assign key toggles. Click on the Membership Applications link above to download the membership application and gather your rabies vaccination records. Toggles are issued at the Tony Aguirre, Westport Roanoke, Garrison (cash only) and Gregg/Klice Community Centers during regular business hours. Cash, check and credit card are accepted forms of payment.
BENEFITS OF MEMBERSHIP ($5/one year introductory membership)
- 1.5 Acres where your dog can run off leash without fear of violating leash laws, getting lost or running into traffic.
- Exclusive access to the West Terrace Dog Park
- One key toggle per household to enter the dog park (additional available for $10/each)
- Assurance that other dogs playing in the park are current on their rabies vaccination shots
- Friendly reminders when your registered dogs’ rabies vaccination shots are due.
- Frequent Member Mingles (fun members-only “pawties”)
- Email updates and notifications of when it is necessary to close the dog park for prevention, improvements and routine maintenance:
- Aeration, seeding, and sodding will require closures for 3-4 weeks in the spring and fall.
- Excessive rainfall will require closure to prevent extensive turf wear and tear.
- Fencing and structural repairs may require closure during repair periods.
- Winter snow melt may require closure to keep the turf intact.
HOW TO ENTER THE PARK
A key toggle is required to enter the park. The West Terrace Dog Park has two entry points. One is on the north end, accessible from W. 7th Street and the other is on the south end at the top of the hill, accessible from W. 8th Street. Keep dogs leashed until inside the unleashing lobby. Allow other members to exit the unleashing lobby before entering. Enter the unleashing lobby by scanning the bar code on your key fob. Please close the gate securely behind you and do not hold the gate open for other members. Unleash your dog and take a moment to observe the behavior of the other dogs in the park. If the behavior of your dog and the dogs in the park is friendly, open the gate to enter the park and securely close it behind you.
DOG PARK RULES & REGULATIONS (failure to abide by the park rules may result in the loss of privileges, or owners may be ticketed by Animal Control)
- Handlers enter off-leash area at their own risk.
- Handlers must clean up after their dogs and dispose of all trash.
- Dogs may never be left unattended and must be under voice control at all times. There is a maximum of four (4) dogs per adult handler.
- Owners are responsible legally and financially for the actions of their dogs. Aggressive dogs should not be brought into the area, and any dog must be removed immediately if aggressive behavior is noted.
- Dogs must be healthy and free of parasites, properly licensed, vaccinated, and not in heat. No puppies under four months old are allowed.
- Children 8 years and under are not allowed in the off-leash dog area; children ages 9 – 15 must be accompanied by an adult. An adult handler is considered anyone over 16 years of age.
- Dogs must be leashed when outside of the fenced area. Handler should have the leash in hand when inside of the area.
- No human food is permitted in the fenced/off-leash area. Handlers using dog treats must assume the risk of safe handling.
- Prong, choke and spike collars must be removed for safety reasons.
- Handlers are subject to all applicable city ordinances.
The park contains multiple service entrances to provide access for maintenance and emergency personnel. Please do not enter or exit through these gates. If you notice a service gate is unlocked or unsecured please call the Dog Park Manager at 816-513-WOOF (9663). On Thursday mornings, the dog park will be closed for mowing between the hours of 8-11 a.m.
Dog Park Manager