The Art in the Loop Foundation is pleased to announce the schedule of summer art installations and performances by local artists who were selected for “Art in the Loop Project: KC Plays” This year marks the fifth for the Art in the Loop Project and includes new partnerships and new Downtown Kansas City, Missouri locations, that provide more opportunities for audiences to interact with and enjoy the work of local artists.
The 2018 Art in the Loop Project: KC Plays infuses the center of Downtown Kansas City with innovative and engaging temporary art that will refresh, intrigue and surprise Downtown employees, residents, and visitors. The project also creates opportunities for local emerging and established artists to extend their practice into the Downtown environment with curatorial, professional and logistical support. 2018 Art in the Loop Project: KC Plays is a curated outdoor exhibition of temporary artworks and performances presented in five locations Downtown:
- Art in the Park – West Terrace & Case Park, 10th & Jefferson;
- Art on the Line – KC Streetcar, stops located along Main Street from the City Market to Union Station;
- Art at the Library – Kansas City Public Library Central Library,14 W. 10th St.
- Art in the Loop Studio Residency – Commerce Bank Building, 1000 Walnut Street
- Art in the Loop Exhibition at The Box Gallery – Commerce Bank Building, 1000 Walnut Street
A kickoff presentation by participating artists, moderated by Jahaira Aguilar and Andrew Lattner, is scheduled for Tuesday, May 1st at 6:30 p.m. at the Kansas City Public Library, 14 West 10th St. A reception follows the presentation. This event is co-hosted by the Kansas City Public Library, the Downtown Council of Kansas City, Missouri and the City of Kansas City, Missouri.
New this year, The Box Gallery will host an Art in the Loop Exhibition from June through July, with an opening reception on Friday, June 1, 11:30 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. The exhibition will include images and ephemera for this year’s Art in the Loop Project: KC Plays, as well as, maps, brochures and videos. It will also be the site of music performances, receptions and other events. The Box Gallery is located on the first floor of the Commerce Bank Building, 1000 Walnut Street, Kansas City, MO 64106.
Art in the Park (West Terrace/Case Park)
In partnership with the Municipal Art Commission of the City of Kansas City, Missouri through a competitive selection process, three local artists (see list below) were selected to enliven West Terrace/Case Park from May through September.
Artists and Art Installations
- Denise DiPiazzo, SlinkyBall
- Stacey Sharpe, Air Play
- Annelise Kinney, Michael Elwood & Daniel Rawlings, Busy Bead Maze
Art on the Line (KC Streetcar):
Art in the Loop is partnering with the KC Streetcar Authority to install the following temporary installations and performances at streetcar stops from May through September.
Artist and Art Installations
- Daniel Chase, Running Idle, (Video animation on KCity Post Kiosks)
- Monica Dixon, Celestial Heap, (Vinyl artwork onboard KC Streetcar vehicle)
- Emily Sloan, Streetcar Shelter Sweater, (Fabric artwork, River Market West Stop)
- Megan Karson, Stranger on a Train, (Soft sculpture onboard KC Streetcar vehicle)
- Amy Kligman, Party Car, (Vinyl artwork on KC Streetcar vehicle exterior)
- Kriss Miller & Alicen Lundberg, KC Word Plays! (Interactive sculpture, Library Southbound Stop)
- Stephen Proski, Night People (Vinyl artwork, Crossroads Southbound Stop)
- Alter Art Space, Alter: Pop-Up pARTy (August 24, 6:00 p.m., Union Station Stop)
- Stone Lion Puppets, KC Puppets at Play!,(July 11 and August 8, 11:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m., Union Station and City Market Stops proposed locations.)
Art Starts at the Library (Kansas City Public Library Central Library, 14 W 10th St.):
Artist performances will take place in Kirk Hall during the Art Starts at the Library First Friday events on June 6 and August 3, at 5:30 p.m.
- David Alpert, Passing Notes, (June 1, August 3 and other dates TBD)
- Sunyoung Cheong, Wearable Play, (August 3)
Art in the Loop Studio Residency: Soft Lab
Selected artists Olivia Clanton and Natalie Spicker will have an artist studio located on the first floor of the Commerce Bank Building, 1000 Walnut Street. They will create experimental artwork as well as invite the public to interact with them during weaving and quilting workshops. This residency is the first of its kind for Art in the Loop and will provide opportunities for artists to interact with the public and collaborate in a new way. Schedules for workshops will be posted at www.artintheloop.com
The 2018 Art in the Loop Project: KC Plays is made possible through the generous support of KC Streetcar; the City of Kansas City, Missouri; the Missouri Arts Council; Arts KC and our corporate sponsors including Stinson Leonard Street, Copaken Brooks, Lofts@Delaware Landing, 3D Development, Burns & McDonnell, JE Dunn Construction, McCownGordon Construction and PortKC. We appreciate support and guidance provided by our partners: Downtown Council, Downtown Community Improvement Districts, KCMO-Public Works Department, KC Streetcar, the KC Parks, Kansas City Public Library, Kansas City Art Institute, The Box Gallery, Union Station and The Bridge 90.9.
Art in the Loop will also bring a diverse array of musicians to Downtown Kansas City through a lunchtime concert series on Wednesdays, from 11:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m., from May 30 through September 5, at the same locations where artwork is installed. Musicians will be announced later this month.
For more information about the project, the artists and performance schedule visit www.artintheloop.com, www.facebook.com/artintheloop, or twitter.com/ArtintheLoop.