Posted by Intagrate Lite
GEORGE FULLER GREEN (1955-59) #65As part of #KCParks125, we are featuring all Park Board Commissioners in order of their service.George Fuller Green (1887-1970) had notable family ties to Kansas City. His father John J. Green was on the City Council from 1888-1894, was City Treasurer from 1894-1898, worked on the committee to write a new city charter in 1904, and unsuccessfully ran for mayor twice. His grandfather George W. Fuller was appointed to the Park Board in 1905. His uncle Jay H. Neff was Mayor of Kansas City from 1904-1905. George was born at 1493 Independence Avenue in a home his father built as a wedding present for his mother. After attending Manual Training High School, George went to the University of Michigan where he studied engineering and architecture. After graduation in 1910 he came back to Kansas City and went to work for architect Henry Hoit. One of his assignments was detailing work on the R. A. Long mansion on Gladstone Boulevard, now the Kansas City Museum.After taking an extended trip of Europe with a friend, George was hired by the City of Kansas City as a building inspector. In 1913 he began work as an architect designing homes with A. J. King. He married Nina Todd King in 1914 and they had four children. Mr. Green had a very successful career in architecture, building and construction. Mr. Green’s strong interest in the history of Kansas City led him to join with others in the Native Sons of Kansas City organization. Founded in 1932 as an organization of men born in Kansas City who had an interest in Kansas City history and assisting in the general welfare of Kansas City, the Native Sons group created an archive to preserve materials relating to the history of Kansas City. The collection grew as members of the group donated materials from their own family’s collections as well as outside acquisitions of historic maps, photographs, paintings and correspondence. More on @kcmoparks Facebook than page.
November 27, 2017 / 0 comments