The Washington statue was purchased with public donations. Copied from a famous statue in Brooklyn, New York sculpted by Henry Shrady, it was formed at the Roman Bronze Works which had cast the original statue. Wight and Wight Architects in Kansas City designed the pedestal. The Statue was dedicated on November 11, 1925. It is 16 feet 7 inches tall and stands on a pedestal 13 feet high. The cost of the statue and base was $30,000 and the statue was placed so that Washington faced south just east of the center of Washington Square Park.
One hundred and nine-thousand citizens gave this statue to their city. Dedicated armistice Day 1925, Rededicated Armistice Day 1932.