In-person Master Gardener training starts this fall, 2019 at Southeast Community Center in Swope Park!
Are you interested in learning more about gardening, the outdoor environment, and best practices in horticulture? Are you interested in helping others become better gardeners?
If the answer is yes, consider becoming a Master Gardeners of Greater Kansas City (MGGKC)!
- Master Gardeners of Greater Kansas City are volunteers of University of Missouri Extension and share Extension’s goals and mission of improving the quality of life for all Missourians. Missouri Master Gardeners’ motto is “helping others learn to grow”
- In 2019, Master Gardeners receive 8 weeks of intensive training, 2 classes per session, taught by University faculty, local experts, and experienced Master Gardeners
- Master Gardeners help educate the public by providing research-based horticulture information
Master Gardeners of Greater Kansas City volunteer with children’s gardening programs, historic gardens, community gardens, wildflower gardens that benefit pollinators, the Gardeners’ Hotline, and many other exciting and worthwhile programs and activities.
Classes will be on Saturdays at the Southeast Community Center, 4201 E. 63rd St., KCMO. This year, you will be able to finish Master Gardener Training by participating in 8 weeks of intensive training.
The cost is $175. If you are taking the course for personal enrichment and do not plan on volunteering, the cost is $350. A limited number of scholarships are available. Information on scholarships is available upon request.
In Year 1, Master Gardeners of Greater Kansas City provide 45 hours of volunteer service for local Master Gardener projects and programs. In Year 2, Master Gardeners do 25 hours of volunteer service and 6 hours of continuing education.
Master Gardener In-Depth Training includes:
- Basic Plant Science
- Maintaining Healthy Soil
- Fruit and Vegetable Gardening
- Tree, shrub, and lawn care
- Beneficial Garden Insects and Insect Pests
- Organic Gardening
- Landscape Design
- Ornamental Annuals, Perennials, and Native Plants
- And more!
Applications are now available. Go to www.mggkc.org and click on “How to Join” to access the application. You may also contact the University of Missouri Extension office at 816-252-5052, to have an application emailed or mailed to you. Applications are due by June 17, 2019, 4:30 pm. If your application is accepted, payment for Master Gardener Training is due by August 10, 2019, 5pm.
Contact Cathy Bylinowski, Horticulture Educator, email@example.com or Sara Hill, Receptionist and Secretary, firstname.lastname@example.org, University of Missouri Extension, 1600 NE Coronado, Blue Springs, MO 64014, 816-252-5051 more information.