The fourth and final phase of the Rose Garden restoration project was completed in December, 2014 at a cost of $403,000. All 66 stone pillars encircling the rose garden were restored and new redwood cedar pergolas placed atop the structures. The bronze plaques announcing the garden, but stolen during the 1940s, were replicated and placed at each main garden entry.
The purpose of the restoration plan, conceived in 2000, was to restore the entire rose garden to reflect the original design developed by the firm of Hare & Hare in 1931. The process took 14 years to complete with the assistance of hundreds of donations from the Kansas City community. Corporations, Foundations, trust funds and individuals contributed $2 million to fund this endeavor. The Kansas City Rose Society wishes to express heartfelt gratitude to all those who donated to preserve this historic Kansas City treasure.
Major donors include: The Helen Blackman Foundation, Martha Jane Starr Field of Interest Fund,William T. Kemper Foundation, Helen S. Boylan Foundation, J.B. Reynolds Foundation, Victor Speas Foundation and the Kansas City Parks and Recreation Department.
Plan to join a celebration of this historic restoration on Sunday, May 31 for Kansas City’s Official Rose Day!