Sam Lacey, a distinguished citizen of Kansas City, Missouri, who passed away in 2014 was honored on August 18 at the Gregg Klice Community Center when a plaque was in his honor was unveiled and permanently placed in the GKCC gymnasium.
The former NBA Basketball Player made Kansas City his home after his career ended. Mr. Lacey was a member of the former Kansas City Kings between 1975 through 1985. The Kings franchise is now located in Sacramento, California. Mr. Lacey was an inspiration to many of the youth in the Kansas City area.
Who was Sam Lacey??
- One of the founding members of the Gregg Klice Community Center Advisory Committee
- Mentored many of the youth, boys and girls in Community; sponsored many basketball leagues around the city;
- Graduate of New Mexico State University; selected in the 1st round of the NBA
- Sam’s jersey number 44 is retired by the Sacramento Kings
- Gave of his time and resources to various causes in Kansas City