~Drinking fountains are currently broken and new ones are coming. Please bring water until that time~
Kansas City’s first off-leash area, Penn Valley Dog Park, officially opened in April of 2004. The dog park is a 2.7 acre fenced off-leash area with two double-gated entries for safety. There is an additional 1.8 acre area for small, elderly or handicapped dogs. The park offers water fountains for people and dogs, as well as a spigot for filling water bottles.
The Dogpark Improvement Group (DIG) is a volunteer, non-profit organization that raises funds to improve the Penn Valley Dog Park.
DOG PARK RULES & REGULATIONS
- Handlers enter off-leash area at their own risk.
- Handlers must clean up after their dogs and dispose of all trash.
- Dogs may never be left unattended and must be under voice control at all times. There is a maximum of four (4) dogs per adult handler.
- Owners are responsible legally and financially for the actions of their dogs. Aggressive dogs should not be brought into the area, and any dog must be removed immediately if aggressive behavior is noted.
- Dogs must be healthy and free of parasites, properly licensed, vaccinated, and not in heat. No puppies under four months old are allowed.
- Children 8 years and under are not allowed in the off-leash dog area; children ages 9 – 15 must be accompanied by an adult. An adult handler is considered anyone over 16 years of age.
- Dogs must be leashed when outside of the fenced area. Handler should have the leash in hand when inside of the area.
- No human food is permitted in the fenced/off-leash area. Handlers using dog treats must assume the risk of safe handling.
- Prong, choke and spike collars must be removed for safety reasons.
- Handlers are subject to all applicable city ordinances.