The statuary portion of the fountain, weighing 16,000 pounds, dates back to the 1700s where it stood for 300 years in a Venetian square. The figures were brought over from Italy in the early 1920s. An 80-foot diameter pool was constructed and the statuary mounted on the central pedestal in 1925. The fountain is named for the three mythological sea horses perched atop the stone pyramid. The sea horses support a fluted saucer with carved lions heads that spout water as the saucer fills. The middle tier has three cherubs holding an identical smaller saucer. The top tier is a sculpture of a child and a fish. The lower jet of water is very forceful with the upper and smaller jets creating a mist when a small breeze blows. The sculpture is atop a stone base that together is approximately 30′ high.
Meyer Circle Sea Horse Fountain
Meyer Blvd and Ward Parkway