In April 1948 the Park Board was approached by representatives from the Seven Oaks Community Council about designating properties near the Seven Oaks School as a park and recreational area. A public hearing was held, petitions submitted, and in May 1948 the Park Board voted that the property be acquired. First called the 39th and Jackson Park relating its location, the South Oaks Community Council suggested the park be renamed as Seven Oaks Park. The Park Board passed the name change in April 1953.
Seven Oaks School, designed by local architect Charles Smith, opened in 1927 and closed in 1997. In 2011 the Kansas City Public Schools began to investigate purposes for older school buildings that were no longer in use. Seven Oaks Estates, a partnership between the Greater Corinthian Community Development Corporation and Midcontinent Equity Holdings, developed a plan to convert the historic school into 44 affordable apartments for seniors, using historic tax credits as well as affordable housing tax credits, hiring a local business known for work with historic properties, Rosin Preservation. The senior housing called Seven Oaks Estates, opened in 2014.