Park Event Permit FAQ’s

Park Event Permit FAQ’s

Frequently Asked Questions for Special Events/Weddings in Parks

If you are bringing in any type of equipment into the park for your event, if you want to sell, seek donations, or charge an admission fee, or if you wish to ensure no other organized event will occur during your event, then some type of park permit/contract is required.


Nothing may be sold on park property with a standard permit/rental agreement. If you wish to have items for sale at your event, you or your organization must obtain a Facility Use & Concessions Agreement approved by the KCMO Board of Parks and Recreation Commissioners.

All park event permit requests must be submitted at least 30 days out for a General Permit (no sales) and at least 90 days out for a Board Approved/Specific Use Permit (sales). See Park Event Permit Fees for more details. 

If requesting a General Permit for park space less than 30 days out from event date, you must call to speak with the Events Administrator (816-513-7787) .  If it is determined there is park space available for your event, a $25 late processing fee will be added to your permit purchase.

Complete the Event Request Form (THIS IS NOT FOR SHELTER RESERVATIONS) and submit to the Parks Event Administrator. You will be contacted within two business days of your request. All requests are processed in the order in which they are received. Requests for events will be accepted starting the first business day of that year.

There is a $50 non-refundable deposit to schedule an event/wedding in KC Parks. The $50 deposit will be applied to the total permit fee.

Park fees vary, depending on what is involved with your event. Refer to Park Event Permit Fees for detailed pricing/categories. Keep in mind, several other City permits may be required if your event includes tents, food, street closures, etc.  Download the Event Permit Checklist. For large outdoor events, (festivals, fairs, parades, etc.) please visit KC Eventhub and complete an Outdoor Event Permit Application.

Cash, check, money order or credit/debit cards are accepted. ***Once you receive your confirmation; a $50 non-refundable deposit is due immediately. The remaining payment and insurance (if applicable) is due 30 days prior to the permitted event. Failure to submit your payment in full will result in a lost reservation of park space. Once your payment is made, refunds are not given if you cancel your event. 

Many of our parks have shelters, however, your Event Permit/Rental Agreement does not give you permission to use a particular shelter for your event. If the park you are interested in also has a shelter that you would like to utilize for your event, you must check availability and reserve the shelter. Shelter reservations begin annually on the first business day of February. More information about Shelter Reservations and to reserve online.

No, electricity is not provided with your park permit. Generators, battery-powered equipment, or acoustic instruments are recommended if needing or wanting sound, etc.

No. Portable restrooms are the responsibility of the event applicant. Once your event and park space is secured, the Parks Department Events Administrator can provide you with numbers of portable sanitary unit providers, if requested. It is also the responsibility of the event applicant if portable rest-rooms are ordered for their event, that the restrooms are removed as soon as their event is over. If portable restrooms aren’t removed, an additional fee may be incurred.

If an event or rental agreement contains one or more of the following, general liability insurance of $1 million per occurrence and $2 million aggregate, written on an “occurrence” basis listing the City of Kansas City, Missouri as the additional insured is required. Every event that contains one or more of the following must have an insurance certificate:

  • More than 250 people in attendance
  • Use of large equipment (tents larger than 10 x 10, staging, large sound systems, inflatables, etc.)
  • Carnival/Animal rides
  • Athletic Activities (this includes organized walks, runs, etc.)
  • Use of Fireworks
  • Sale of concessions/Sale or consumption of alcoholic beverages (only certain parks allow alcoholic beverages to be served/sold)*
  • Insurance needs for commercial photo/film shoots are determined on a case-by-case basis.

For example, wedding ceremonies, smaller information rallies or picnics will not require insurance, if they do not have any of the above mentioned items at their event.  Download Insurance Requirements Letter.

All COIs must be turned in 14 days prior to the first date of your event(s). Agreements can be terminated if the COI is not received within that timeframe.

Events are based on a rain or shine basis. Refunds are not given for inclement weather. Obviously, if it rains, several precautions need to be made by the event coordinator to protect the park grounds and for the safety of the event participants/volunteers. Always have a “Plan B”, for adverse weather conditions.

As part of your permit fee, the Parks Department will place additional trash receptacles in the park at your request. However, once the event is over, it is the responsibility of the event coordinators to remove all trash out of the receptacles and dispose of properly/legally. Recycling is strongly encouraged for all events, but mandatory for events that secure a Use and Concession Contract or any event with an attendance expecting over 500 attendees. Visit the KC Parks Recycling Policy page for details. If the Parks Department has to come in after an event and clean up park or haul away trash, an additional fee may be assessed to event coordinator. The park should be left in as good as or better condition as before the event began.

If requesting park space less than 30 days out from event date, you must call to speak with the Events Administrator. If it is determined there is park space available for your event, a $25 late processing fee will be added to your permit purchase.

Scroll to Top