The dog park re-open on October 6, 2022
ABOUT SWOPE PARK OFF LEASH DOG PARK
Opened in August 2012, Swope Park Off Leash area was KC Parks second dog park. It is located within the largest park in Kansas City’s system, Swope Park, just east of KC Campus for Animal Care/KC Pet Project on Gregory Boulevard.
The dog park sits on five acres, divided into two areas–one for smaller and one for larger dogs. Pups under 30 pounds (or elderly or handicapped dogs) have one-acre fenced off while big dogs have four full acres. Both areas have dog/people water fountains.
DOG PARK RULES & REGULATIONS
- Handlers enter off-leash area at their own risk.
- Handlers must clean up after their dogs and dispose of all trash.
- Dogs may never be left unattended and must be under voice control at all times. There is a maximum of four (4) dogs per adult handler.
- Owners are responsible legally and financially for the actions of their dogs. Aggressive dogs should not be brought into the area, and any dog must be removed immediately if aggressive behavior is noted.
- Dogs must be healthy and free of parasites, properly licensed, vaccinated, and not in heat. No puppies under four months old are allowed.
- Children 8 years and under are not allowed in the off leash dog area; children ages 9 – 15 must be accompanied by an adult. An adult handler is considered anyone over 16 years of age.
- Dogs must be leashed when outside of the fenced area. Handler should have the leash in hand when inside of the area.
- No human food is permitted in the fenced/off leash area. Handlers using dog treats must assume the risk of safe handling.
- Prong, choke and spike collars must be removed for safety reasons.
- Handlers are subject to all applicable city ordinances.